Dear Parents & Players,
Welcome back to a long awaited return to the soccer fields. I’m sure you are all anxious to get back outside and play soccer. My name is Matt Malowski and I am the president of Martha’s Vineyard United.
To help understand what MV United is preparing for this fall and how we will ensure safety of our players, coaches, and spectators we are asking you to attend a Zoom meeting scheduled for September 3rd, 7:00 pm.
Zoom Invite: Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 868 1585 9511
Please make every effort to attend the meeting so we can discuss safety concerns and how we plan to address them during soccer activities. We will also discuss MV United’s return to play policies and procedures.
To ensure the health & safety of all athletes, MV United will take the following steps to provide a safe and clean training environment. Please familiarize yourself with these protocols and help us to enforce them by making sure you and your child are following the safety recommendations below that will be an addendum to this letter.
The Martha’s Vineyard United soccer organization will be offering soccer programming to all of our island kids in GRADES 3 through 8. Unfortunately, due to the numerous restrictions and safety protocols for the return to play we do not have the facilities nor the volunteers to offer soccer for every age group. We had to prioritize and limit the number of participants and unfortunately due to the supervision required for the younger ages we could not comply with the guidelines put forth by the governing agencies mentioned above. For High School aged players we will follow the status of the MIAA, Leagues, and MVRHS and make a determination on what we can or cannot offer players in those grade levels.
Here is what MV United, along with its partnership with the New England Revolution Academy, plan to offer our island players.
*All of this is contingent on Board of Health approval and being permitted field use from our Island schools and towns.
- Two days of clinic style training for each participant per week. As the season moves along and we can ensure safety and the number of cases remain low, we plan to offer small sided games throughout the season.
- Players will be assigned to teams (or cohorts) and these teams/cohorts will be based on grade level. What this means is the teams/cohorts will be co-ed.
- Registration fee will be $75. We will refund if we are forced to cancel the season.
- All players and coaches will be required to wear masks, even while playing. We will provide mask breaks.
- The NE Revolution will conduct the training sessions, with MV United coaches assisting.
- MV United coaches and volunteers will assist and help to ensure compliance with the social distancing rules and regulations, and assist the Revs coaches as directed.
- Players will be required to bring their own ball, water bottle, (1) dark colored shirt, (1) white shirt.
- There will be a maximum capacity for each grade level of 40 participants. We will have a waitlist, and if we can ensure that we have more space and an adequate number of reliable volunteers we may be able to pull players off the waitlist.
- No spectators will be allowed at any time prior, during and after the training sessions. Parents or guardians ARE required to remain in their vehicles, or drop off and return once the session is over. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Registration is open now. Please register so we can get an idea of how many players we have and to reserve your spot as these may fill up and you will have to be put on a waitlist. Click here to REGISTER. Visit us at www.mvunited.org, and click on the “Registration” tab to register.
Zoom Meeting Agenda
- Club/Town return to play protocols (where to find information)
- Practice schedule (including arrival and departures)
- Field set up with designated player and family areas
- Player Equipment Needs
- Player Sanitizing Needs (PPE’s)
- Parents role in ensuring a safe environment
- Q & A from the parents
All of us at Martha’s Vineyard United want everyone to know that we have discussed at length the decision to offer soccer on Martha’s Vineyard. We believe that it is important for our children to have some sense of connection with each other in a soccer environment. With that being said, we respect and are astutely aware of the risks involved. This is why we are asking our parents to come to this Zoom session, not only hear what we are planning, but to ask questions so we are all working together
to offer our children the best possible experience that ensures the best possible safety standards for returning to play. We have been in contact with the various Boards of Health on the island and will progress as they see fit. MV United has partnered with the New England Revolution because we know they value what we value and will also take the utmost care of our players, coaches and volunteers, while providing a positive experience for the players.
I ask that you read over the documents provided regarding the Return to Play. We will do our best to answer your questions and if we do not have the answer we will get it and get back to you as soon as we can.
Again, much of what we can offer and accomplish ONLY depends on the volunteerism we receive. Our Recreational and Island League Directors CANNOT do it alone and we need help. If you would like to help us please fill out the Volunteerism Form here (or visit our website www.mvunited.org).
Please ensure you refer to the Player and Parent sections of the Mass Youth Soccer Return to Play Guidelines – Click here to view PDF
I am aware that these are unprecedented times and many may be concerned about returning to play. I assure you that we will take every measure to make a safe training environment for your child. I hope we all can remain positive and calm during our re-entry into the game of soccer. I hope everyone understands we will also need to be flexible as what is true today may change tomorrow. We will make appropriate and necessary adjustments and will be transparent and informative along the way.
Please reach out to me after our Zoom meeting to discuss any further questions or concerns.
Again, welcome back and we look forward to getting the season underway.
President, MV United